Mission Statement

Raising awareness and educating the public through high fashion made from recyclable materials.

Friday, May 6, 2011

"Re:FUSE" Upcycle Runway Show Coming in 2012!

I have been designing up a storm, drawing croquis on my iPad. For my recycle runway show, "Re:FUSE", slated for the Loft Gallery in 2012 at the O'Hanlon Center For The Arts, I am creating a collection of garments related to my favorite music icons. For this Project, I am starting with the famous white bell-bottom pants with orange gussets Elvis wore in his Vegas show, "That's The Way It is" in the early '70's. I have collected white recyclable garbage bags for the pants and high-collared fringed jacket and orange Home Depot bags for the gussets for several weeks now. Even though I have a soft spot for the King, I agree with the folks in my art group Plexus that the title "White Trash" will be perfect for this piece. I plan to show it at our upcoming show at Falkirk in San Rafael this summer. I also designed a sleek black body suit that reminds me of something Cat Woman wore on the Batman and Robin Show when I was a kid. For this outfit, I will use black construction trash bags and long zippers down the front Princess seams, back and sides. I happened upon a close-out sale at Ben Franklins Craft Store in Novato today. The zippers I envisioned for this garment are typically used in sleeping bags, but they will look tres chic in my new body suit made out of sewn and fused Husky trash bags. Given that my last garment, made from a vinyl banner printed with words and motifs related to coffee, is called "Wake UP Call", and that this new garment is distantly related to sleep, I ponder on the meaning of my body suit. I wonder if its wearer will wake up to the drastic and fantastic nature of plastic when she walks down the runway sweltering on the hottest day of the year?

Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment